International on Turtle Creek
The International Harvester parts warehouse, built in 1949, was a 250,000 SF high-bay industrial building of brick and horizontal strip windows, typical of many in the Old Trinity Industrial District near Downtown. Our progressive client saw the potential to expand the geographic reach of the Design District through an adaptive reuse of this large warehouse for furniture and interior design showrooms. GFF cut a new “street” through the middle of the large warehouse, effectively turning impossibly large lease spaces into manageable sizes while introducing parking at the front doors. The steel roof skeleton was left in place when the building below was cut away, forming a lacy shade structure over the street. The building was unified by painting the red brick white and using a similarly colored stucco for new wall surfaces. Large areas were cut open and filled with walls of glass to increase the amount of natural light and provide new access to the showrooms.