Corporate Headquarters at Old Parkland Interiors
The historic buildings of Dallas’ Parkland Hospital were constructed on this eight-acre site in the Oak Lawn neighborhood in 1915 and 1921. A high-profile capital holdings organization purchased the campus, which recently underwent a restoration and major addition to the landmarked building to serve as their corporate headquarters. The central design challenge was to accommodate the company’s corporate culture (which features a non-hierarchical large room of open desk work stations with modern communications technology) in a new addition which would harmonize with, but not imitate, the original structure. The great room was placed between the arms of the historic building in a highly machined steel, limestone and glass structure, with parking tucked underneath to maintain the integrity and character of the park-like setting. The Dallas Chapter AIA awarded the project with its first-ever Sustainability Award in 2007, and the Greater Dallas Planning Council gave the project an Urban Design Award in 2008.