The BIM Leader’s role is to collaborate with project teams, the IT Director, the Director of Technical Resources, and the Chief Practice Officer to ensure the stable operation of in-house BIM 360 Cloud and BIM software on a firm-wide basis. This includes developing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all BIM projects and initiatives assigned to the leader. The BIM Leader will also analyze and resolve Studio, project, and end-user specific BIM program issues in a timely and accurate fashion and provide end-user training where required. Finally, the BIM Leader will assist the BIM project teams in the coordination of the building information model within the organization and across other disciplines and consultants.
50% of this position will concentrate on:
- Developing and managing Revit templates across the firm.
- Manage (maintain and periodically update) firm-wide BIM execution plan/specification.
- Optimization and further development of firm’s Revit component library, including the transition of legacy CAD standard details and blocks to Revit components, and development of custom content on an as-needed basis.
- Conduct and manage Revit competency assessments for technical staff as part of the hiring process.
- Develop and lead training sessions and initiatives for staff.
- QA/QC BIM models for adherence to office standards and client specific requirements
- Answer questions and troubleshoot.
20% of this position will concentrate on:
- BIM 360 / Construction & Cloud – Standards development and enforcement, project, and user management (including outside consultants and others), training, support & troubleshooting.
- Assisting IT Director with implementation of strategic IT initiatives.
20% of this position will concentrate on:
- Assisting project teams on the preparation and coordination of Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents for assigned BIM projects.
10% of this position will concentrate on:
- Marketing, research and development, and continuing education as it relates to the use and best practices associated with BIM in general, and Revit Architecture in particular.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications:
- B.Arch or M.Arch from accredited university preferred. Two year technical degree in Architecture or related field
- Autodesk Certification a plus.
- Microsoft Certification a plus.
- 8-10+ years professional commercial project production experience with Revit, minimum.
- Previous firm experience mentoring and coaching of architectural staff in the implementation and management of BIM standards, best practices and workflows.
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication skills.
- Highly detailed knowledge of Revit Architecture modeling and documentation, including template management and development, and custom parametric family content creation and management.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development and implementation of BIM initiatives and training on a firm-wide basis.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development and implementation of Autodesk BIM 360 Cloud initiatives and training on a firm-wide basis.
- Proficiency with BIM 360, CAD, 3DS Max, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite, Navisworks and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with Revit Structure and MEP.
- Professional appearance, and ability to work effectively both with teams and independently.
- Ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed and determine and manage priorities.
Interested candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. Submit resume and work samples (including sample BIM files, working and presentation drawings, renderings, and original Revit family samples).
- Maintain strong understanding of workflows and best practices between BIM 360, CAD, Revit, SketchUp and Navisworks.
- Maintain detailed understanding of BIM workflows and best practices between offices, and with outside consultants.
- Proficient in the use of BIM 360 implementation, management, workflows, and best practices.
- Familiarity with a variety of programming languages (Dynamo, Java, Python, Ruby, C, C++, etc.)
- Familiarity with alternate 3D modeling platforms and interoperability between platforms (e.g., ArchiCAD).
- Collaborate with IT to incorporate new version releases, patches and updates.
- Stay informed on other BIM related software, applications and plug ins, and how they work with Revit
- Stay informed on best practices for use of Revit Architecture and BIM.
- Evaluate, test and make recommendations on new BIM related software, including third party applications and plug-ins.
- Coordinate with the Director of Technical Resources and the Chief Practice Officer to produce consistent graphic standards (symbols, text, dimensions, line weights) between AutoCAD and Revit.
- Coordinate with the Director of Technical Resources and the Chief Practice Officer to produce consistent modeling standards in Revit.
- Improve and maintain Revit template files to assure needs and standards are met across all studios.
- Automate routines in BIM to support standards and productivity.
- Organize, maintain and develop firm content files (detail, annotation and model components).
- Transition legacy standard details from CAD to Revit.
- Serve on, collaborate with, and liaise between the IT Director, the Director of Technical Resources, and the Chief Practice Officer.
- Collaborate with the IT Director, the Director of Technical Resources, and the Chief Practice Officer in developing strategies to accelerate the adoption of BIM across the firm.
- Maintain and periodically update firm-wide BIM execution plan/specification.
- Provide hardware and software support as it relates to BIM production.
- Troubleshoot problems.
- Conduct internal continuing education architectural training sessions, at fundamental, intermediate, and advanced levels.
- Conduct and manage Revit competency assessments for technical staff, including employment candidates as part of the hiring process.
- Provide technical orientation to new hires regarding BIM tools.
- Maintain high level of software competency.
- Assist technical staff in BIM project setup, and day-to-day technical support.
- Support and enforce office standards.
- Provide quality control for completeness and adherence to standards and contractual obligations (LOD) of all models and drawings produced, as well as those received from outside consultants.
- Perform periodic QA/QC audits of project files to:
- Ensure compliance with the standards, both internal and client specific.
- Maximize efficiency and,
- Minimize file size
- Assist teams in creating Revit components and families in response to project needs.
- Assists Project Leader in developing project specific BIM execution plan.
- Attends project kickoff meetings and guides project team in procedures and best practices for coordinating the BIM.
- Performs Navisworks clash detections. Provides ongoing coordination reporting to Project Leader.
- Assist firm leaders and marketing director in identifying trends and business opportunities relating to BIM.
- Assist in the development of BIM related marketing content used for the purposes of securing business opportunities.
- Future planning and potential uses of BIM:
- Sustainable design
- 3D Laser scanning
- 3D renderings
- Facilities Management
- Quantity Take Offs and Cost Estimation
- Integration of Specifications
- Digital Prototyping and Digital Fabrication
- Prefabrication and Modularization
Expected Industry Organization Involvement:
- AIA Technology in Architectural Practice (TAP) Knowledge Community
- AIA Integrated Practice Knowledge Community Industry Events
- Autodesk University
- Local User Groups
- Others as appropriate
Please send resume and portfolio/job samples to:
Attn: Ms. Taylor Catalano
Subject: BIM Leader – Dallas Office
GFF is an award winning, fast-paced, business-centered and design-focused practice that includes: retail, multi-family, office, mixed-use, corporate projects, churches, schools, restaurants, automobile dealerships, master planning, landscape architecture and interiors. We offer an energetic and stimulating work environment, competitive salary/benefits and advancement potential at all levels. We are always interested in discussing opportunities with talented, well-qualified, energetic, and highly-motivated individuals! We are Texas Society of Architects 2019 Architecture Firm Award Recipient.