Meet Gavin Newman, born in Dallas and raised in Mesquite, Texas. After completing Tulane Universities Master’s program, he eagerly returned to Dallas.
Read below for more information about Gavin!
- Favorite food: Thai curries.
- I wasn’t interested in any of my school’s study abroad programs so I went to work abroad with a research studio after my junior year. I spent an incredible summer in the outskirts of Beijing in a village of artists. I don’t speak Chinese, but am fluent in pantomiming.
- I treasure the strange travel experiences I’ve had so far, including: starring in a Chinese/Russian commercial for fans, being detained in a remote Chinese village after the local leader thought I was a western spy, and swimming across the Rio Grande into Mexico.
- I’m a favorite uncle.
- I lettered in swimming and academic decathlon in high school, though I’m most proud of the gardening club I started.
- I worked a strange assortment of jobs before settling into architecture: I taught swimming, made coffee, handled art, worked as an artist’s assistant, worked as a teaching assistant, and managed a stockroom.
- I lost the hearing in my left ear at 6 and regained the use of that ear with an implanted hearing aid a few years ago. I proudly identify as a cyborg.
- I’ve played upright and electric basses for the past 17 years. I keep both around still for sanity.
- I’m a huge fan of the DSO and love searching out new composers.
- I collect books. Sometimes I manage to read them.