“GFF is honored to be awarded by AIA Dallas with design awards for our Factory Six03 and Hockaday Centennial Center projects. It is rewarding to be acknowledged among all the excellent work being produced by Dallas’ architects. This year’s jury made note of how much Dallas has reinvested in the city center and creating spaces for people. These themes informed their deliberations and ultimately influenced the selections they made.” – Brian Kuper, GFF Design Principal
Factory Six03 is a Class-A creative office and retail development created through the adaptive reuse and Federally-certified historic rehabilitation of the Brown Cracker & Candy Company Building in Dallas’ West End Historic District composed of three buildings built between 1903 and 1923.
Factory Six03 lies at the 30-degree clash of Dallas’ downtown street grids, a result of the competing surveys of the city’s first pioneers. This forms a “medieval” European open space that is defined by Factory Six03 and the adjacent buildings providing the most compelling opportunity to create a public space that could re-energize the area strategically located where Market Street ends. The pathways of former rail spurs are traced in the paving pattern of the plaza floor. A new steel and glass vestibule identifies the new entrance off the public space.
The building exhibited considerable scars of past uses. A large atrium had been cut through the heavy-timber section of the building. In the concrete section, the previous installation of a cinema had required the removal of large sections of structural slabs and support columns, requiring extensive reconstruction. The atrium was reconstructed to modern standards. Outside, the building was also in need of extensive repairs. All windows were removed, repaired and re-glazed, and reinstalled. All masonry was cleaned and repointed, and the historic dock and canopies were rehabilitated.
Hockaday Centennial Center
The Hockaday School is an all-girls, independent K-12 school in Dallas serving nearly 1,100 students on a campus of 86 acres. The two interconnected pavilions of the new Centennial Center provide 108,000 square feet of interdisciplinary learning space, bringing together facilities for science and the visual and performing arts, enhancing and connecting previously isolated functions. A new three-story atrium includes both a Foucault pendulum and an engineered glass sculpture designed by students in collaboration with an artist-in-residence, offering visual and physical communication between floors as well as a representative connection between science, technology and the arts. Constructed sequentially to facilitate the School’s ongoing operations, each pavilion represents a combination of new construction and comprehensive renovation of 1960 and 1980 vintage buildings.
The Science pavilion includes labs for physics, chemistry and biology, as well as innovative STEM learning spaces such as a planetarium, a green roof lab and an engineering/ prototype maker lab. The Center for the Arts provides a 650-seat proscenium theater and a 200-seat black box which share backstage and support spaces, rehearsal studios for choir and orchestra, dedicated spaces for Middle School music and drama, and ten individual instruction/practice rooms for music. New studios for painting and ceramics, a reconfigurable art gallery, an outdoor workspace and outdoor amphitheater are provided as well. A shared gallery/lobby, small and large auditoriums and numerous informal study spaces provide places for formal instruction, small group collaboration and interdisciplinary connection.