Designed by George Dahl as a temporary exhibit hall for the 1936 Texas Centennial, and victim of several unsympathetic additions and renovations, the Food & Fiber Building had fallen into disrepair by 1996. Part of the collection of “Texanic” Art Deco buildings in Fair Park, Food & Fiber was the first fully restored exhibit building on the Fair Park campus.
Phase One renovations replaced the roof, mechanical and electrical systems, and stabilized the building’s structure. Phase Two repaired all exterior plaster, restored clerestory windows and the historic scheme of 27 colors, removed later additions, and reconstructed missing elements. Four murals by Carlo Ciampaglia were restored after having been painted over for 50 years.